The bike that I will be riding during my Coast to Coast tour is a Velomobile. This is a three wheel recumbent bike with two wheels in front and one in the back. The producer of this bike is Velomobiel.nl from Dronten, the Netherlands, the model is the Quest.
The Quest has the following functions and features:
- Weight: 36 kg
- Self supporting construction (Glasfiber)
- 2x 20 inch frontwheels, 1x 26 inch rearwheel
- Propulsion on the rearwheel
- All wheels are sided suspended
- The bike is completely watersealed and all wheels are completely covered
- All critical parts of the bike are placed inside the streamline thus not requiring any maintenance
- The bike has a battery that powers the light (main boom, day ride light, indicators, brakelight, fog lamp)
- 27 gears
- Speed depends on the weather circumstances (wind) but due to the limited air resistance this bike (on average) is about 5 to 8 km/h faster than a normal racing bike (3 to 5 mile/h)
- Besides the speed, the comfort of this bike is also great. No backpain, shoulder stress or saddle sore but a very comfortable ride. The bike also offers possibilties to ride 365 days a year, not affected by bad weather circumstances.